Monday, January 24, 2005

an introduction

i'm sure that most of those who read this site are here because you know me and have been reading my e-mails or hearing my testimonies of my faith journey in local churches.


If any of you stumble on to this site and are compelled to stay, you will be confused as to who i am, what i'm talking about, and why--so here's a brief introduction. My name is Ken, and i'm a 30 something pastor of a church that was built in a small, Alabama (U.S.) town in 1918. i've been the pastor here for a year and half, and have served in ministries since i was 17. My family has served on faith, faithfully throughout the US and on the mission field for generations--i'm a third/fourth generation pastor (not sure if my great-grandfather was actually an ordained pastor or just served in ministry).


My wife grew up in Detroit in a pastors family who were passionate about servig the needs of the city. i grew up on a farm in Indiana but also have been called to serve those on the streets and with less, but i am specifically called and led to lead the church out of being the sterile, separated, societal institution into being the passionate, sacrificial, joyful mission it was founded to be. Changing decades of societal and religious norms is not for the thin-skinned or faint of heart. Please don't think me arrogant, for i am undeserving of association with the heroes of faith, but i liken it to the prophetic callings that led Biblical prophets to be less than popular in the physical realm, but favorites among our spiritual heroes. When the Lord called Isaiah (6:9), the Lord said, "Go and tell this people: `Be ever hearing, but never understanding;
be ever seeing, but never perceiving'
"; and the Lord's call to Ezekiel (2:3-8) is recorded as, "Son of man, I am sending you to the Israelites, to a rebellious nation that has rebelled against me; they and their fathers have been in revolt against me to this very day. 4 The people to whom I am sending you are obstinate and stubborn. Say to them, `This is what the Sovereign LORD says.' 5 And whether they listen or fail to listen--for they are a rebellious house--they will know that a prophet has been among them. 6 And you, son of man, do not be afraid of them or their words. Do not be afraid, though briers and thorns are all around you and you live among scorpions. Do not be afraid of what they say or terrified by them, though they are a rebellious house. 7 You must speak my words to them, whether they listen or fail to listen, for they are rebellious. 8 But you, son of man, listen to what I say to you. Do not rebel like that rebellious house; open your mouth and eat what I give you."


So, you're invited to eavesdrop into my journey--i may write a prayer, a testimony, a frustration, a scripture, someone's biography, questions, or even a recent sermon. Your own thoughts, questions, testimonies, wisdom, correction, or rebukes are welcome.


May the Lord bless you as you seek to serve Him by serving others.

No comments: