Monday, April 11, 2005

Bobby, part 2

we pulled up to Bobby's house and there was another man, also drunk, on Bobby's front porch. he told me that i better not let Bobby see Eddie, but i would have to knock on the door because Bobby was passed out on the couch.

as i peered through the storm door into the dark apartment, i could see the large, mostly naked drunk man lying on a couch three feet from the door. the apartment was dingy, covered in beer cans, whiskey bottles, and cigarrette packaging. There were dishes of leftover food on anything that could hold them, and the odor from the apartment was coming through the door almost visibly like something off a cartoon.

i knocked on the door. then again. he moved slightly. i knocked louder and called out Bobby, i need to speak with you. he opened one eye and looked at me. he mumbled something then went back to sleep.

i knocked again, harder and said Bobby i'm not going away until you help me.

help you?, he cursed at me and sat up. then he saw Eddie and really began to curse -- get that man off my property.

you want me to leave i asked?

yes and take that <<>> with you?

okay, after you help me help him

i told you i'm not helping that guy get off my porch

i'm not leaving until you help me

Bobby jumped up and charged at the door with his fist in the air as the storm door flew open i stepped back in time for it to fly by and hit the guy sitting on the porch. as Bobby's bloodshot eyes and red face approached my own in a furious rage, i said my name is pastor ken, i'm the pastor of sixth avenue church of God where Eddie has been coming. i need your help

as soon as i said pastor, Bobby froze. pastor? well, i fear God and i love people but i'm not helping that man.

we argued at the door for a couple of minutes and then Bobby said come on in i'm tired of standing at this door. as he sat down on his couch i stepped into his dark apartment. Eddie came in and made himself at home by taking a cigarette and lightin' up. i asked Bobby for permission to sit down in a chair next to the couch. he looked me confused, and i said Bobby this is your home, you invite me to sit down or i won't. he nodded with approval.

i continued, if this man has stolen from you i'll pay it back. whatever it takes, i need your help

no, i don't want your money Bobby said

then what? if i don't help Eddie, he's gonna die, and i'm not gonna let that happen--to help Eddie, i need you to acknowledge that he's stayed in your house overnight.

no way

by this time, Eddie's on his third cigarette and i'm running out of hope.

then Bobby said i know what i want

what? anything tell me

you

my mind began to race if i had said anything about love in a way that could be misinterpreted, i looked at the door and for another exit as i began to feel very uncomfortable in the home of a (very large, mostly naked, beligerent drunk man) what do you mean Bobby, what do you want from me?

you--i want you to come back and teach me the Bible

okay, i'll be back tomorrow

NO--TODAY--i want you to teach me the Bible today

okay--sure, do you have a Bible?

yes, around there

where Bobby, why don't you get it?

no, i can't touch it -- i got a demon in me and i can't touch it

amazed at this man's reverence, i slowly stood up--do you want me to get it?

yes, it's around there

i slowly moved further into the dark apartment, and there, around the corner was a small closet with a large, black leather Bible case, with the name Bobby Haggard engraved in golden letters on the Bible. i picked it up and went back toward Bobby, who was now beginning to cry. Bobby, this is a beautiful Bible, i said as i slowly sat down and unzipped it. what do you want Bobby, what do you want me to read?

then he said the words that echo in my heart
mercy--i want the same mercy you're showing to that guy (pointing to Eddie)--i want that kind of mercy

the Bible fell open to a card placed in John 3, how about John 3:16 Bobby. as i read it, he wept. we got to verse 19 "This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but men loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil". i said Bobby, Eddie has so much darkness in him that if he doesn't get help, he's gonna die--will you help me help Eddie?

on one condition--you have to come back

okay

everyday

okay

if you don't i'll find you -- there aren't a lot of people in this town that look like you

i know -- i'll be back

Bobby signed the paper, and we began to get Eddie help. Eddie would walk away from that help, but i would continue to walk into Bobby's house

No comments: